Tails from the Litterbox

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

there's poop everywhere!

So, today I got a reply via email about my cloth diaper ad I have posted on Kijiji... (which I might take down) I sold some of them which I used with 'baby number one' a few weeks ago. I got them for free so ended up with 100 percent of a profit from the deal (that's the extent of my math skills, teachers lie when they say you need math to be a success... look at me!! *smiles while sitting in a sweatshirt with kid stickiness on it*)

... anyway... I feel guilty about being the cause of so much waste. When it comes right down to it, I don't feel good about the 6-10 diapers which end up on my front porch (to gross out the company and the mailman) then into the garbage and into the landfill to sit there and not even decompose at all 'till my kids are...ohh... out of primary school at the very least. That makes me feel bad. Not to mention the risk that a seagull may actually see some corn in one of them and choke and die on the tab from one of my child's diapers, which I'm sure is probably possible, I don't know but only because the seagull is the silent victim left to perish alone with no witnesses... except other birds, and last time I checked, birds can't talk (I think there was a line, and I just crossed it when I mentioned the corn. Sorry if that was gross..) So, after having sold six of my best cloth diapers three weeks ago... that's always how it works, eh? I decided to do some research and ended up making one today, with not much thought or planning involved... there I was sewing one. huh? I think it's even nicer than the ones I sold anyway, so heh!

It was a whole bunch (like a butt-load) of fun to make and only took an hour or so... I was smart and made my own pattern before I added the elastics. So, incase it works really well I can reproduce it like mad. I looked at some pictures of patterns on the internet and 'eyeballed' it... then cut. Seems to be working for me, sooo why stop, eh!? If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I decided to use a diaper pin to fasten it because I have nothing else in the house (snaps, velcro, ect...) and found this pin that my Nana gave me that used to fasten Yours Truly's diapers almost twenty eight years ago... it's not an antique pin yet, just slightly retro. More leaning toward the slightliest side of slightly.....


So, I've been pondering being a little 'greener' lately... at church we're going through a series of sermons on how our physical health affects our spiritual health. Taking care of our planet too is important because it's how we are showing God that we are greatful for everything He has given us and sooo... taking care of it. If we want to breathe clean air and not choke on diaper tabs like the poor seagull and so on... I want to try to tread lightly on this ground until God calls me into glory and maybe teach my kids to do the same. I'm not totally hardcore about it yet though. I will NOT use a cloth diaper at night or when I'm out for a long while... (not on me but on my kids, I mean...) been there done that, not me... (once again, speaking of the children. I actually cannot remember the last time I had a diaper on)

I made this shirt out of Dan's old shirts last night. The picture doesn't really do it justice. It's actually quite cute.

Apparently I like to sew this week.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    recycling....my mom went through a clothes recycling phase.....it left us with pillows, bags, blankets, clothing and even 'art' made out of other peoples old clothes and the 'art' was made out of socks.....yea socks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home